Tuesday 20 January 2015

First ever blog....

Hello all! I've never written a blog before so forgive me if it's a random collection of statements but I'm going to try my best to keep it updated. Quite a few of you have suggested keeping a blog so that friends and family can keep up to date with our progress as it's becoming difficult to make sure we're responding to all of the kind text messages, messages on Facebook, phone calls and emails!

I'm scheduled to have a mastectomy at 3pm tomorrow at Woodlands Hospital in Kettering, we're expecting the stay to be around 3 nights and then I'll be at home with Mum looking after all of us until she's unable to make me stay in the house!

What we know about the cancer so far is that it is an invasive DCIS tumour which is around 5cm, initially my lymphs appeared to be swollen but we're taking a lot of encouragement from a clear lymph biopsy and CT scan, Mr Rashed will perform a sentinel node biopsy at the same time as the mastectomy and once the tumour has been analysed we're hoping to know what the treatment plan will be within about 2 weeks... I'm having an initial reconstruction at the same time but the valve will be replaced by fat and muscle from my stomach once the treatment is finished (tummy-tuck and boob job at the same time - awesome!)

It's been a very random journey to say the least, there is no history of breast cancer in my family and every doctor I saw was convinced that it was just swelling, I think we'd been reassured so much along the way that we didn't really expect the news that we had on 30th December and I really would encourage all of you to persevere when your body is telling you that things aren't right.

Anyway, I don't really know how to write these and I'm sure I will get better at it but I wanted to at least get it started so that I can keep adding to it as our journey progresses...... I'm feeling a bit emotional about the impending operation but am looking forward to seeing my lovely new reconstruction once the treatment has finished!

Your support and generosity have kept us going through the ups and downs and we really are so lucky to have such amazing family and friends, thank you and see you on the other side!

Helen xx