Monday 16 March 2015

The one where my hair falls out......

"She'd only ever loved two things; the first was her long dark hair, the second was how she could cut it off and not feel a thing...." 

Hello lovely people

 As you have likely skilfully deduced from the title - the ice cap didn't work! They warned me that I may start to lose hair 2 weeks after the first chemo session and they were spot on. It started coming out gradually earlier in the week, I was hoping that this was somehow related to my transition back to work but alas, come Saturday night I was pulling it out in clumps and floods of tears. We made the decision to ask my gorgeous cousin-in-law Lizzie to head over with her clippers and do the deed, the only currency she would accept was a bowl of the legendary Bliss chilli and I'm pleased to report that we were both very happy customers. 
I knew that I didn't want it to be done Britney-style in a public barber shop so to have a house full of family and friends with a glass of wine in hand and kids tearing around the house was absolutely perfect. I donned the requisite UWO Shave to Save tank top for the event and was surprisingly tearless throughout (I think the wine helped!). The kids asked a few questions as they passed through the kitchen but they all seemed to accept it and move-on in the beautiful way that children do.


I'm liking the idea of a Kelly Osbourne style purpleish wig but have been unable to locate one as-yet, wigs and scarves can indeed be fun to shop for and many of you have so kindly offered to help on the expeditions! 

Chemo round 2 starts tomorrow and I'm not sorry to admit that I'm glad I won't have to put up with the ice cap again. My Oncologist is adamant that there will be no more trips back to hospital this time around and I will gladly hold him to that! The installation of my SmartPort will also make the process far easier and will allow me to lie on the sofa watching mind-numbing tv rather than being hooked up to all sorts of cables and machines. 

I will certainly keep you posted.....

#fightlikeagirl